Thursday 2 April 2015

No Sex, Some Drugs & a Lil'bit'o' Rock & Roll: BARRY'S GARAGE:


02.04.2015
BARRY’S GARRAGE:
When I moved back to Bangalore in 1980, I came in with my new Double Bass that I had bought for Rs. 725/- in Chennai & Rs. 800/- to transport it to Bangalore.
It was too bulky & big to keep at home, and anyway, if I ever played it, I had to be accompanied with at least a “Chunk-Chunk” guitar and a “Thump-buck-lot-lot” on some kind of percussion instrument.
The place where “free Music” was happening was “Barry’s Garage” a true garage with a tiled roof.
Various Musicians, Intellectuals, Proletariat, Young people with a zest for life, the joi-de-vivere, all converged daily at “Barry’s Garage” for some hours of pure fellowship, music and memories.
I’ve played and enjoyed some wonderful “Jams” in Barry’s Garage.  
Among the Musicians I have had the pleasure to “jam” with include Peter Isaac, (The best bluesman I’ve Known), Junior (only rasta) & Adolf, sons of Eddie of the “Rhythm Stars” from the 1950s!! Lots of others, please forgive me if I do not mention……

In my over 45 years playing the guitar the two decades I spent in “Barry’s Garage” contributed immensely to my music.

No comments:

Post a Comment